Monday, November 15, 2010

I swear I'm not dead.

It's been a while since I updated this thing. Utah's been keeping me rather busy. I have officially lived in this state for approximately two and a half months and so far, it's been grand. Working at Brick Oven is pretty laid back. People there are generally nice, although the vast majority of them have never worked as servers or even in a restaurant setting for that matter. My roommate Alex and I work together at Brick Oven, which we kindly refer to as our "little kid job". It's been consistently busy which is money in my pockets. I'm not sure how we'll do once the hype of a new restaurant wears down, but by then I should have enough money saved up to not really worry too much. I've met a lot of very interesting people so far. Most of them are either very religious (Mormons, no less) or extremely anti-church or anti-religion. That makes for a pretty eclectic group of acquaintances. Other than all of that, my life has become a sort of routine. Wake up, go to work, come home, hang out, sleep. Rinse and repeat. I'm very excited to break the monotony of this routine by going to school again next semester. I also broke what has become my norm by attending a few concerts. I saw Atmosphere live for the first time and I have to say that Slug and Ant can put on a show! Their set was phenomenal, and something that Slug said to the crowd as they departed has really stuck with me. He said something along the lines of "Life is too short for you to be sad or angry or frustrated all the time. Each day is a blessing, and each day should be treated as if it were the best day of your life. Thank you all for being a part of the best day of my life." I had an epiphany then and there. He's fucking right, man! I'm worried about all this mundane, meaningless bullshit. There's no point. Each day should be the best day of your life. On top of that, I went to see quite possibly my favorite band for the time being, Circa Survive, and their lead singer Anthony Green said something that further fueled my epiphany. He went on to thank the fans in a very stereotypical fashion, but then he said this: "It's crazy to me that we're doing this. I would have never thought in a millions years that I'd be here and have so many faces singing these songs back to me. You can do this too. You could be doing this. There's no reason why any of you can't be what you want to be. If you don't want to go to school, don't. You don't need to work your shitty job. Follow your dreams." It sounds kind of gay, even to me as I type it, but the energy in the room while he was saying this to everyone was purely spectacular. I literally felt moved. I know what I want to do with my life, and it lies in music. And writing. So recap: Work rocks, met tons of chill people (couple of nice girls too! ;]), AND had numerous epiphanies about the direction my life is taking. Not bad for two months, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment