Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Stars. The sky. Since the dawn of time, human beings have looked to the sky and wondered. Hoped. Dreamed. We've been infatuated with it since we were able to think. What amazes me is that to this very day, that still has a hold of me. It's amazing what solitude and an open night's sky can do for one's perspective and clarity. At least mine, anyway. I'm writing this from my back porch. I live relatively close to a mountain, so my backyard is a perfect place to view the mountains with a starry night as a backdrop. Finally mustered the effort to dust my little netbook and give it a whirl. So I sit here, wrapped in my winter's finest, listening to Eriatarka by The Mars Volta....and I'm completely and utterly at peace. Looking up at the sky, lost in the sounds of Progressive Rock and my own thoughts. Shooting star. They say if you make a wish upon a shooting star, it's supposed to make your wish come true. Crock of shit, if I ever heard one. Whoever's in charge of the Shooting-Star-Wish-Granting-Association-of-America needs to get fired. I've been doing that nonsense for the better half of 15 years, each time naively thinking THIS would be the one. This one would count. And come 6 months later, I still don't have Jessica Alba in boy shorts playing Xbox with me. Think about it though. What it is about the sky that mystifies us? I don't know, but I can honestly say that this is my Nirvana. Is this how monks feel when they get into that state of meditation? There's nothing more beautiful to me than a night's sky with a full moon and thousands of stars. It really helps you put things into perspective. Like how insignificant we actually are. I read that in 2003, the Hubble telescope was chillin, when it noticed a blank piece of sky. Meaning, a black spot with no stars visible to the naked eye. So it aimed it's camera at this blank spot for 4 months right? They get the images, and what they found were THOUSANDS of galaxies. Each with TRILLIONS of stars, some of which have solar systems, much like our own. Dare you to do the math on that. So that blank spot that they observed, is 1/13,000,000,000th (Trillionth) of the night sky. Yeah. We're a fucking grain of sand in a beach. It's crazy to think about. You feel like your problems here are so big. "Oh, so and so is hooking up with blah blah blah" or "My life is so shitty, I'm depressed." In the grand scheme of things, we're a fucking nano second. If I could tie this all together with like, a central thesis, it would be this: as cliche as it might sound, life's too short to not be having a fucking party everyday. You're in control of your own emotions. So next time you're feeling sad, just smile instead. Trust me, you'll feel a ton better. And all of this, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood sky, found in backyards across the globe.

-Fabian

No comments:

Post a Comment